Do you know what it means to be functionally fit? One in 3 people – and 60% of those over 65 – suffer from a functional limitation limiting their ability to carry out daily activities – like climbing stairs, bending over to tie their shoes, picking something up off the floor, or carrying groceries.
If you’d like to hear my radio interview on Remedying Functional Limitations with Functional Fitness on About Health, here it is!
Outcome-Based Small Group Fitness Training
The foundation of each workout develops the fundamental human movement patterns that address structural flaws.
- Patients discharged from rehabilitation programs
- Individuals recovering from surgery or an illness
- Helps physicians and occupational physicians detect signs of deterioration in musculoskeletal tissues
- Identifies muscle asymmetries, tightness, weakness/atrophy, loss of ROM (range of motion), and other risk factors for injury
- Underscores problematic lifestyle issues
- Detects design problems in individual workout routines
- Predicts fall risk from deficits in balance or proprioception
- Establishes a baseline functional fitness level
Designed specifically for those with age-related diseases and other health conditions, such as:
- Cardiovascular disease/cardiac history
- Peripheral artery disease
- Type 2 diabetes
What to Expect
Exercise framework includes the following components in a friendly, dynamic, and supportive environment:
- Resting/recovery blood pressure and heart rate
- Pre-/post-exercise blood glucose self-monitoring if diabetic
- Cardiorespiratory conditioning* with heart rate self-monitoring (no ECG surveillance)
- Core/stability, strength, and flexibility training*
- Prescribed target intensity range with progressions as appropriate (individualization based on tolerance and associated factors)
*Exercise rotations include the use of various types of exercise equipment, such as IMX Pilates reformer, barre, Spin® bikes, step, and weights while incorporating interval training and low-impact plyometrics.
Intensity with Intelligence
If not on a comprehensive exercise program, structural flaws will emerge prematurely, such as:
- Poor cardiovascular condition
- Muscle imbalances
- Old injuries
- Aging effects
- Structural defects
Prerequisite: HealthStyleRx functional screening
Physician Referrals Only: Authorization is required prior to starting the exercise program. Restrictions or recommendations from the physician or therapist will be useful in designing the participant’s fitness regimen.
Exercise sessions are not covered by insurance.